Saturday, July 2, 2011

Making your own baby food. Does it save money?


I love to make my babies baby food. I feel like it doesn't take much time and you have so much more control over what you put in their mouth. I do use bottled occasionally but my favorite is to make it. I love the variety of foods that I can provide to them instead of the mundane, same old that we are all used to. So in finding recipes and more info I discovered this website, wholesomebabyfood.com it is wonderful! Tons of info also. But anyway I was wondering just how much making the food saved. You can make several weeks worth in about an hour once every few weeks. Thats not that much time considering how much time we spend at the store. So in looking for info on the price difference I found this blog over at Octopus Mom. It is a great read. She figured that in a years time on average she saved $540, that is AMAZING! Now, she uses frozen veggies from the grocery store which is perfectly fine. Frozen veggies and fruits are shown to hold their nutritional value much more than canned. Some people would rather use organic and local, which I do love to do but this does mean your cost will still be higher but I believe really not that much. It is great that you can save so much and give your baby what you want! Plus to make the food you need a steamer or a pot, a blender or food processor, ice cube trays, and ziploc bags or other storage. All these items are what most kitchens possess anyway. So really you won't even have to invest in some expensive baby food maker. Even better!